Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Adela and Adonis

 

Dear Adela,

I thought you so very much an English lady of refinement and poise that I am beside myself over this turn of events vis-a-vis your current infatuation. It is, without question, out of character for you to behave in a manner that flies in the face of convention and our British social mores. Your extravagant love for the Indian boy causes the mind to boggle. I and my entire family are incredulous that you - the rigid and pure Adela - should have been swept off your feet and into the maelstrom of a turgid affair of the heart.

How could we have known that the houseboy's ministrations to the family's physical needs would have taken such a turn? Into a cold, cold heart has arisen a heated passion; in the bosom of you, the renowned Ice Queen, has been created a premature thaw. Never had I hoped to see such a robust essence of springtime burst forth into the purview of me, your intended. Yet, hoping against hope for the warmth of romance to seize hold of you, I remained steadfast in my devotion toward our union.

While the proper and staid English gentleman that resides within says "No, this cannot be!", I daresay that my losing you to the beautiful man of dark skin, raven hair and milk-white teeth is mitigated by the simple truth that you are unquestionably out of your element. I will leave it to you and your headstrong ways to discern how you have commenced treading upon a path that shall certainly lead to the sure disappointment of a broken heart.

Adela, I beg you ... before your heart consents further to this madness, please peer more closely into your looking glass, imagining Adonis there by your side. Consider closely my words before it is too late ...

A heartbroken but wiser former fiance,

Nigel